Subject: Re: Exercises in patience -- NetBSD/i386 1.5 on a 4Meg 386DX/25
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2001 11:26:08
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Dave Burgess wrote:

> I have quote a bit of experience (operationally) with the we and ec
> cards.  Neither of them is a stellar performer when it comes to
> throughput.  In fact, my tests with the ec cards put the top end of the
> performance at about 400kB/s on a shared network segment.
>
> I have a 10/100 switch now as the backbone for the system, and most of
> the older cards (we and ec, mostly) run on the older computers.  Since
> they don't perform any better on the switch than they did on the coax, I
> just left them on the coax (or plugged into a hub).

I think it may be our drivers, but I don't want to point fingers.  In
the days before I discovered NetBSD, I was running a machine with linux
1.2.13 (no flames, please ;-) and I remember getting close to 950K/s with
the ec0 cards.

In any case, I'm personally not worried about ~500K/s, as they will be
NAT'ing a 768k SDSL line and a dmz zone... I can wait an extra few ms to
open my mail ;-)  As long as the drivers are stable, which they appear to
be, I'm happy as a clam.

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
 - USATODAY.com latest Health news for 12/4/2000 at 2:10 p.m.:
    Tobacco firm backs lung cancer test: Spaz the cat will never again
    want for medication to relieve his constipation.