Subject: RE: Exercises in patience -- NetBSD/i386 1.5 on a 4Meg 386DX/25
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/2001 19:15:24
When we started this company, we did it with a Compaq 386SX-16 (as the DNS)
and a Gateway P66.

The former had 8Meg of memory, the latter had 16Meg (which was all that
would work in NetBSD at the time).

Saturday, the Gateway is coming out of service.  It has been in constant
operation (with the exception of some more memory and a new, additional hard
drive) running NetBSD version starting at 0.9.  The machine is over six
years old, and lasted two years longer than we expected and four years
longer than we budgeted.  It's longest downtime was when we unplugged it and
moved it across Omaha: it was down for an hour.

Until the last couple of months, the uptime percentage was somewhere around
99.995%.  I've regularly had uptimes of over 100 days (hence the PR I
submitted) with this and other servers.  It ran Apache, RADIUS, FTP, telnet,
INND, and at least 7 different versions of NetBSD. We've added new servers
(all NetBSD) over the years, but we've kept this machine on it's feet;
working like a champ.  We will have an even 25 servers, all running NetBSD,
running on the floor this week-end, and we're trying to decide if we want to
try and replace the hard drive that's going bad and putting it back into
server.

After all, there is something to be said for continuity.