Subject: Bizarre keyboard behavior in X
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2001 13:48:23
I'm having some very strange behavior in X. I seem to have one of two
problems. I can switch between them by making minor Xfree86 changes, ie
changing AutoRepeat values.

1. When I start a new application that opens a new window the last
character sent to the xterm gets sets repeatedly to the focused window.
I am using windowmaker and set a hotkey for an xterm when I press the
hotkey then that sequence is sent to the window manger repeatedly,
results in many xterms piling up!! When in an xterm typing a key stops
the repetition, but this does not work when the keyboard event is trapped
by the windowmanager.

2. I changed a couple of windowmaker settings and changed the AutoRepeat
to 0 0 and now this is what happens:

after being logged in (through XDM) the keyboard events are not received
by the windows. The mouse works fine, but the keyboard just stops
working. Somtimes restarting the windowmanager fixes it, sometimes I have
to logout (Reset the X server via -terminate). The keyboard freezes from
anywhere between 5 min after login to an hour. Often it happens in
sucession. Because the problem is somtimes resolved by restarting the
windowmanager it makes me wonder if its a windowmaker problem. Anyone
else out there running windowmaker under NetBSD1.5?

Thanks all.

Ben

B. Bogart
Convergent Media Designer
Through scientific absolution we move further and further away from ourselves.