Subject: Sound applications
To: NetBSD port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2001 18:34:22
So, I'm trying to get some basic digital [multitrack] sound
editing facility working on my NetBSD machine, and so far
it's been a world of pain.

The problem seems mainly to be that most of the sound
applications around are for linux; of course the ALSA ones
won't work at all, and OSS isn't happy either: I can't
manage to compile any (natively or with cross i386-linux),
and do the precompiled ones want to play.  Notable SLab
freezes horribly when it tries to access sound devices, and
MiXviews crashes rather often.

Can anybody offer either any suggestions on making this type
or program compile, or (even better) recommendations of
digital mixing packages which have been seen working?

Mark <><

[ I'm using a K6-2/550 with an elderly ESS 1868 soundblaster
16 clone, running 1.5 release, with the patch in pr 11630 to
make the sound card work; this is fixed in -current anyway. ]