Subject: (cheap|haunted)? hardware
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <collver@softhome.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2001 22:01:45
I use NetBSD 1.5 i386 on frankenstein hardware at home.

X crashed, I try to start X again and get:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6: Undefined symbol "_IceProcessCoreMessage"

I look at libICE.so.6.3 and it looks ok to me.  I unpack xbase binary
set into /tmp, cmp shows that /tmp/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.3 and
/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.3 differ by one byte at the 1349th character.
Further scrutiny reveals that only libICE.so.6.3 is changed, and only
one byte in it is changed.

I get depressed and play a day of Harvest Moon II.

When I come back, I rerun cmp.  This time the two files are the same and
X starts fine.

Is my hard drive haunted?

Ben