Subject: Re: Using GRUB bootloader question
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 17:04:27
On Jan 3,  2:51pm, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 01:42:35PM -0800, Space Case wrote:
> > I now have my system doing multi-boot into Win2K, Linux and NetBSD.
> >
> > The GRUB menu entry currently looks like this:
>
>Why use GRUB?  NetBSD has its own boot selector, and I use it to
>boot a variety of OSs.

A variety of reasons -- I didn't know the NetBSD boot selector could
handle the other OSes I wanted to use (Win2K, Linux, Solaris); GRUB looked
to be the most versatile of the ones that people mentioned; I like the way
the boot select menu is set up.

>GRUB is doomed to never work properly -- it doesn't implement the bootinfo
>mechanism that NetBSD uses.

Hmmm.  Perhaps that can be overcome by using chainloading.  Can the NetBSD
bootloader be installed in the NetBSD partition, or does it have to reside
in the first track of the disk?

Alternatively (I'm not totally against the NetBSD boot selector), how
would I set up the NetBSD bootselector to handle the other OSes?  Keep
in mind that Linux resides within a pair of logical partitions inside
a DOS extended partition, and (with GRUB, at least) Win2K needs to be
chainloaded.  Here's what GRUB says about my partitions:

geometry (hd0)
drive 0x80: C/H/S = 2495/255/63, The number of sectors = 40088160, /dev/hda
   Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
   Partition num: 2, [BSD sub-partitions immediately follow]
     BSD Partition num: 'a',  Filesystem type is ffs, partition type 0xa9
   Partition num: 3,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xbe
   Partition num: 4,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
   Partition num: 5,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

(N.B. Partition 1 is DOS extended, 0 is Win2K, 3 is where Solaris
is going, and 4 is Linux swap.)

Thanks,
~Steve

--