Subject: sysinst notes
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@maailma.yok.utu.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/2000 01:57:16
Hello,

I did a NetBSD 1.5 upgrade from 1.5alpha, I think. That went fine
and very seamlessly. Perhaps the Upgrade notes in the INSTALL document
could be a bit better about things that happened in /etc...

Currently I am running upgrade from 1.4.2 from the serial console
installation disks kindly provided by this list. And the notes...

Got into sysinst and wanted to do the upgrade. (A daring thing, I'm
given to understand)

I wanted to get the sets by ftp. Correctly, sysinst found the both
Ethernet cards installed and asked which I would like to configure.
For the life of it I couldn't remember which is the one connected
to the Internet and which to my home network.

[Enter trouble. There are times when the smoking habit I've been
unable to quit has its good sides (but don't try this at... um,
anywhere, kids!)]
I picked the wrong card.

After this it was impossible to configure the network. I couldn't
get back to the point where the network interface was picked.
This created very much complications because the upgrade had
to be aborted. The next run, there was no fstab on my old root's etc
so I had to restore it from etc.old and so on...

Well, the real problem here was just that there was no chance to
select another card. (OK, and if someone points me to pressing
CTRL-Z: I thought of it too late. And would it have helped if I'd
ifconfiged the real interface by hand? Probably, but does everyone
come to think of it right there...)

Well, thankfully, once I got it all running again DHCP configured
the network beautifully.

Getting the distrib by ftp: at least on ftp.funet.fi (ftp.fi.netbsd.org)
there was the problem that the files in shared were not linked to
i386 so I had to go back and forth configuring the file server directory.

Keeping the distrib: it would be nice to be able to keep the downloaded
distribution. Because sysinst so nicely automates the download it'd be
good to ask if the distrib files be kept on the harddrive. This way
other local machines could download from the already upgraded machine.
Of course one can download it by hand before starting upgrade of any
machine but its not hard for a program not delete stuff if it can get
it :)

Network config: I configured the network with DHCP in sysinst, but
after installation, even though I responded that yes, I the network
config I gave is the valid one, sysinst did not make the system
start dhclient on boot up (but somehow managed to set mygate).

Huh, now the thing is running nicely 1.5 and there's nothing to
complain. COMPAT_14 works very well and the old pkg binaries seem
to work. Hooray for this all. So, all in all, those things above are
just my comments about sysinst.

BTW, can I safely pkg_remove postfix now that it is part of the
base binaries. Will that one destroy my /etc/postfix?

--
Arto Huusko  --  WWW: http://maailma.yok.utu.fi/
                  ** Divecalc **