Subject: Re: Disk driver related problems?
To: NetBSD port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/20/2000 23:40:09
Manuel Bouyer writes:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 09:56:31PM +0000, Mark White wrote:
> > I have a couple of problems which are probably related - can
> > anybody shed some light on them?  I am running NetBSD 1.5
> > BETA2, on a K6/2-550 (Aladdin MB).
>
> Do you know which IDE controller is has ?

I don't have the manual, but from dmesg:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE
    Controller (rev. 0xc2)
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 0

> > 1. The drive access light is on when the system boots, and
> > remains on until the CDROM [samsung 40x] is first accessed.
>
> Yes, I see it too on occasion. This shouldn't cause any harm

Ok.  (Except keeping me awake at night - I have to share a
room with this PC...)

> > [...] Both HDDs [fujitsu 8.4 and maxtor 2.5] and the ZIP drive
> > seem to work in DMA mode.
>
> I don't think NetBSD supports DMA for the parallel port.

It's an ATAPI zip (they were cheaper at the time).

Mark <><