Subject: Re: wd0f: aborted command, interface CRC error
To: Johan Ihren <johani@pdc.kth.se>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/2000 20:49:51
On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 04:25:14PM +0100, Johan Ihren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on a new disk, with NetBSD located about 15GB into the disk I get a
> CRC error when mounting an FFS partition in the middle of the NetBSD
> slice.
>
> As far as I can see have have not made any errors in either the DOS
> fdisk partitioning nor the NetBSD disklabel. Also, the filesystem
> actually gets mounted and as far as I can tell works fine.
>
> So, what does the error say? Is it a hw problem with that block or
> what?

It says that data was corrupted while transfered on the IDE bus, and the
hardware detected it. The driver was notified and has set the bus to a lower
speed (ultra mode 1 instead of ultra mode 2) and retried the xfer. This
time it worked.
This is usually a problem with the IDE cable (try an Ultra/66 cable, is
usually helps). There is also a controller which is known to have problems
(ALI) with drives > Ultra/33.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>