Subject: Re: freetype-lib problem.
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/17/2000 14:47:27
Al Snell wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
>
> > I have since tried to build the whole lot from source. Massive job
> > compared to just installing the binary, which is a bit of a problem
> > when you want a machine set up quickly to go.
>
> > package collection. It's still as I write not finished yet. It's about 90%
> > through the build. It's latest problem is that it has undefined
> > references to "gettext".
> >
> > Anyway I'm persevering at this stage. I still want NetBSD.
>
> I've never actually tried binary packages - I always build from source,
> which makes for an almost seamless installation experience, I find, since
> dependencies and so on are handled wonderfully in pkgsrc.

Thanks Alaric,
this sounds like a great idea to try.
If I delete all packages from bin and src and then reinstall all of
them by building them from the distfiles do you think I might have
more luck?
Another quick question, I wonder would the fact that I'm running
1.5 Alpha2 have anything to do with it? Should I have 1.4 release
for example. Anyone else add to this point?

thanks,
Paul.

> ABS
>
> --
>                                Alaric B. Snell
>  http://www.alaric-snell.com/ http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/
>    Any sufficiently advanced technology can be emulated in software

Paul  (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology