Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 64 PCI and eap driver
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/2000 16:39:56
On 16 Nov 2000, at 9:44, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> PCI devices and
> their drivers *must* be able to share interrupts.

Hi,

could it be that IRQ sharing was introduced with PCI 2.x spec? IIRC
my old Pentium und PentiumPro boards required a different IRQ for
each PCI slot. Even today some cards do not like IRQ sharing,
some 3Com ethernet cards do not seem to work correctly over a
longer period of time if they have no own IRQ (strange effects like
forgetting the media type and resetting to use AUI) and one of the
Guillemot soundcards I had here will work if it has an own IRQ.

In fact most hardware manufacturers will ask to assign an own IRQ
to their cards if called for help when there are problems with their
products.

mike