Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 64 PCI and eap driver
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/2000 09:44:13
<gavan@coolfactor.org> (Gavan Fantom) writes:

> > Could be because the bktr and audio devices share IRQ 9. try changing this
> > in the bios.
>
> I couldn't figure out how to do this in the BIOS. It lets you specify
> which IRQs the PCI system should use, but AFAICT you can't specify not to
> share an IRQ. Even with plenty to spare, it still insisted on sharing IRQ
> 9.
>
> So I took out the bktr and the sound card works now. Hmm. Is this actually
> a problem with the BIOS, or is there a bug in one of the drivers?

It's absolutely a software bug (probably the driver, or possibly but
less likely, a low-level interrupt-handling code bug). PCI devices and
their drivers *must* be able to share interrupts.

There's no requirement in PCI that interrupts be distinct; it would be
completely legitimate for all PCI devices in a system to share a
single interrupt (and I think I've seen people post here about
machines, particularly laptops, set up this way).

        - Nathan