Subject: Re: The user-controllable LEDs on an Intel ISP1100
To: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/2000 15:53:08
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Al B. Snell wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>
> > 	just curious, how can you identify the existence of those LEDs?
> > 	are there any special I/O sequence to identify them?
> > 	if there's no way to identify those, it would be hard to probe/attach
> > 	drivers... (or we end up hardcoding it for ISP1100)
>
> I'm looking into that. Intel helpfully supply the server with the
> technical specs on CD-ROM, down to the port access and connector pinout
> level - nice!
>
> I hope there'll be something we can do to detect this baby; I need to
> analyse the PCI devices and stuff to see if it comes up in any kind of PnP
> registry - otherwise, it'll have to be an uncommentable line in the config
> file, I'm afraid :-(
>
> # /dev/panel drivers
>
> #inisppa0	at isa? port 0x...	# Intel ISP1100 front panel LEDs
>
> #lptpa0		at lpt0			# Hardwired switches and LEDs on a
> 					# centronics port
>
> #usbpa0		at uhid X		# Using a USB HID as a front panel
>
> ...or something like that.

look for LED in src/sys/arch/sparc/sparc/auxreg.[ch] for another one...

To take this to extremes it would be nice to have a list of blink sources
(network activity, routing table lookups, harddisk access, page ins/outs
etc), that could be attached to an led. (useing the rndctl sources would be
a good start).

--
http://pointless.net/     : Another Great waste of bandwidth!
http://advogato.com/      : nothing to do with me, but worth a look.