Subject: Re: Trouble building GENERIC_TINY
To: Ben Elliston <bje@air.net.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/2000 10:51:33
On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 09:40:24AM +1100, Ben Elliston wrote:
>    > gcc 2.95 with gas 2.9.1.  Do I need more recent versions or am I doing
>    > something else wrong here?  This is my first crack at building a NetBSD
>    > kernel.  Thanks,
>
>    Did you build a croos-tollchain for NetBSD ? You can't build a NetBSD
>    kernel with a linux toolchain. I'm not sure a kernel will build
>    cleanly with 2.95 yet. NetBSD still ships with egcs-1.1.2.
>
> Yes, I built a netbsd cross.  I was merely asking about versioning problems.
> Why is NetBSD so closely tied to GCC versions?

egcs 1.1.2 and gcc 2.95.2 behaves differently with warning messages
(and the gcc shipped with NetBSD as some additionnal checks with e.g. printf
format strings), and as all is compiled with -Werror, the compile will fail.
You can still hack makefiles to remove -Werror and unknown warning options,
but the best would be to build the cross-compiled from the NetBSD sources
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/gnu/dist/gcc/)