Subject: Re: Failing drive or cable? You decide.
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/2000 07:13:17
> Ok, so I'm continuing to fight with this P-133 box. I've now added
> an AHA 1540C (? something close to that) and three drives. This is
> in addition to the two IDE drives and one IDE cdrom already installed.
>
> I'm having a problem with the 4 gig IBM drive (the newest drive in the
> box) where it starts making scary clicking noises and subsequently
> the box crashes.
>
> You know the noise, the sound of a drive head reseeking on a sector,
> perhaps reading from a bad sector. Scary stuff, but no messages are
> returned on the console.

My system does exactly the same thing when an ide cable comes
loose. I can fix it by pressing on the connector. Obviously I
either need a new cable, or the motherboard ide connnector is
faulty. UDMA/66 ide does crc as I understand, so I'm not very
worried when the system comes back by reseating the connector
but regular ide may not be so forgiving, and may corrupt your
data doing the same thing as I said above. Good luck.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net