Subject: Re: clear screen when logout
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/2000 20:40:22
> # Ben suggests that Debian LINUX ``solves'' this problem with a
> # .bash_logout.  This solves it no more than by putting it in a csh.logout
> # (which is what I've done in the past).
> #
> # The problem with both of these approaches is that it only works if your
> # shell runs the indicated logout script.  /bin/sh doesn't run ANY logout
> # script, that I know of.  Nor, I think, does /bin/ksh.  I dunno about
> # others that we may have in pkgsrc.
>
> That's easy to solve.  In /etc/profile, put the line
>
> trap 'tput clear' 0
>
> and your problem is solved.

If my problem with this approach were simply to get /bin/sh to support it,
you would be right.  My problem with it is that it depends upon the user's
shell to run the indicated script.  What about other shells, say from
pkgsrc?  What about future shells?

One would want this behavior to be independant of the shell that the user
happens to use.  At least, that's what I'd want, if I were to see it
included in NetBSD.  If we're talking about how to change one's local
system for a fixed set of specific shells, then /etc/ scripts are
acceptable, yes.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu