Subject: Re: Couldn't use NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/2000 08:54:25
Hello John!

  JH> I see. Your description wasn't quite clear to me.
    > You're saying that that installation program seemed to
    > function normally, but after it was complete, and
    > rebooted, the system did not function normally.

That's right.

  JH> Yes, the installation runs under NetBSD, it has some
    > slightly different device support, mostly because it's
    > difficutl to fit the full device support on the
    > installation floppy. Perhaps there is some sort of
    > conflict on your machine.

I'm pretty sure there's no conflict, but the problem with
PnP is that things don't necessarily stay where you put them
=o(

  AB> I don't know what messages preceded it because the
    > screen just filled with that single line message!  =o(

  JH> One solution is to install using a serial console. If
    > this isn't inconvenient, you can hook up a terminal
    > emulator to com0 at 9600 bps and then start to boot
    > off of the boot floppy; then stop it before it
    > actually boots the kernel from the floppy and enter
    > "consdev com0". Then go to the terminal emulator and
    > type "boot fd0:". You won't have the problem of the
    > screen filling, or you can use your terminal
    > emulator's capture function.

A serial console is definitely something of interest to me
because I'm likely to be running some headless machines. The
error message (just found the scrap of paper I scrawled it
on ;o) was "isapnp0:No current device for tag, card 2" and
was green... if that's significant.

  AB> I can document the machine and circumstances of the
    > error I encountered.  Would this be of use?

  JH> Yes, it certainly would be of use.
    > Thanks.

Should I post it here or email it to someone?

Regards,
  -
Andy.

Free email with cool domains at FriendlyEmail
http://www.mypad.com/