Subject: Re: pmap_zero_page() and TLB
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/2000 11:33:59
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> It was me, and yes, I now suspect hardware in this case. I was getting
> a lot of Signal 11's whilst compiling and a few raidframe panics, all
> in the course of a few days. The box had been running fine until I
> upgraded my 1.5 kernel from a couple of months ago *and* plugged a
> parallel cable into the motherboard. Suspecting software, I disabled
> vm_page_zero_enable, and the Sig 11's were still there after reboot. I
> haven't had a raidframe panic since then though, but that *could* be
> because I have stopped hammering that box locally because it's my main
> server and I can't afford the downtime on it. (So I now compile on my
> laptop over NFS)

  I had a similar problem on my K6-3.  I would get three or four
undesireable signals of various kinds during every kernnel compile.  I
also tried turning off page zeroing with no effect.  A source and compiler
upgrade fixed the problem completely as far as I can tell (though I have
not tried building the world yet).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net