Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a low-memory 486
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2000 19:15:38
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:17:08PM +0100, Gavan Fantom wrote:
>>> 3072 is 128k too little.. I have tested this, and it'll run out of memory.
>>> Try going into the BIOS setup and disable any 'shadow ram' settings.
>>
>> Right. When you tested this, what happened when it ran out of RAM? Was a
>> message printed, or did the machine reboot?
>
> With 640 + 3072 it runs out of space when it's forking off disklabel
> to label the disk you're about to install on. The main sysinst menu, etc,
> comes up fine, but you can't finish the install. You'll get messages
> like 'UVM: pid X killed, out of swap'.

That's a problem with the installer, rather than NetBSD 'not fitting'
as such.  You just need to quit sysinst, partition the disk manually,
run swapon with your new swap partition, and then restart sysinst
to do the rest of the installation (or just do it yourself ;-).

I have 1.4.2 on a 3M+640k machine, FWIW, and it works fine.  Don't
try X though ;-).  (Although, I did get X working on this machine in
the days of 1.0, but I suspect these days it'd be practically
impossible.)

> - Frank

Ta,
Tim.