Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a low-memory 486
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2000 16:58:45
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > Which floppy image is recommended for booting on low-memory machines?
> > Should it still be possible, or should I consider installing NetBSD 1.2?
>
> Should be possible. fvdl has successfully installed 1.5_ALPHA2 on a 4M machine.

OK. Presumably 1.5_ALPHA2 is a tad bigger than 1.4.2?

> > Is there a way of finding out more detailed information about what is
> > happening to cause a reboot?
>
> Bad floppy ? corrupted disk image ? hardware problems ?

I'm 95% sure the floppies are OK.. I dd'd all of them to /dev/null and
they didn't report any errors. The image I wrote was the image pulled off
Sunsite UK about a week ago, and the MD5 checked out.

Hardware problems are entirely likely, but the machine just rebooting with
no message after loading the kernel isn't really a good indication as to
where there might be a problem. :-(

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget