Subject: RE: Network Interface Cards
To: Brian Gregor <bgregor@buphy.bu.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2000 13:04:36
[ On Friday, September 29, 2000 at 20:50:12 (-0400), Brian Gregor wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Network Interface Cards
>
> Any thoughts on the SMC/Western Digital 8013 ISA cards?  I used
> a bunch for a while on my home LAN with good results under
> various UNIXes and Windows.

I tried a pair of them in my 486DX66/ISA router/firewall and they didn't
work very well -- less than 100pps on a "ping -f" to a local machine
through my 10baseT Ethernet switch.  I get well over 450pps from my
Sparc-2 thorugh the same switch to the same server.  I don't remember
what the TCP throughput was, but it was similarly about 1/4 of what the
SS2 does.

In other words they were too slow for even a cable modem at about
800kbps-down/200kbps-up.

I wish S-BUS Ethernet cards were at the same price/perf. level as these
surplus ISA cards I bought ($5[cdn]/ea!)....  I can almost get small
numbers of SS2's cheaper than 486's now and they'd make awsome firewall
boxes (though the 486DX does faster math and thus better encryption).

--
							Greg A. Woods