Subject: Using AOL pop dialup under NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2000 11:24:34
Lately I find myself doing a lot of business travel, particularly to Asia
Pacific; in fact I have been out of the country for nearly 5 months this
year with my NetBSD laptop.

I find myself quite envious of my sales manager, who sometimes joins me on
my trips, and has one of those unlimited $20/month AOL accounts.  He is
always able to find a local AOL PPP pop in each city of each country we
have visited (Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney,
Vienna, Amsterdam, etc.).  Yes, I know AOL & their software sucks, but
when one is in a strange country and needs PPP access, who cares!  To the
best of my knowledge, no other PPP provider has anything close to the
number of countries with local pops as AOL.

Is they anyway to use an AOL PPP pop account with NetBSD?  Under windows,
you need to run their cheesy AOL software, but I was hoping that someone
may have found a way to by-pass it.  (I wonder if AOL has any Linux
users?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since it would save me $$$ by
avoiding having to call my Toronto POP long distance from my hotel room,
which I have done a few times in emergencies.

Thanks in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.