Subject: Re: Multiple VGA cards
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2000 10:41:40
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> [sorry if this is redundant, I'm way behind on mail right now]

Not redundant at all, thanks for the insight!

> I've studied this in depth, and so far the most progress that anyone has
> made is present in XFree 4, where they have code to bring up some cards
> from scratch and get them into graphics mode.

So that explains why 'dual-head' support is listed as a feature for
some drivers in XFree 4 and not others. Right now, I am running XFree
4.0.1 successfully in Xinerama mode across two Matrox cards, one G400
and one old 2064W. I just would have liked to have them run as two
independent X server, with separate keyboards and mice. I guess since
the X server needs an underlying wscons/pcvt device I am out of luck.

> This is one of those obnoxious things that should be simple, but it's not,
> because of the idiocy of how the PC market designs products.

I hear that some MS Windows version now have dual-head support, so
maybe with will change?
--
    - aew