Subject: Re: Virtual Consoles...and a mouse.
To: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/29/2000 11:13:49
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Hauke Fath wrote:

# I recall that the code had been in-kernel first and some core member argued
# vehemently against an in-kernel "console thang". So, it was ripped out.
# Must have been early '95, i was pretty fresh to NetBSD. Now we have wscons...

I keep seeing things bandied about regarding putting wscons into the
SPARC code.

I can't see as doing that would be terribly expensive -- I mean, the Linux
port (forgive my blasphemy) seems to do it with impunity.

In addition, there's the issue of properly ansifying the colors on the
Sun consoles where possible (i.e. cg3 and better).  I honestly don't
think this should be an issue, either, save that the colormap as initially
laid out doesn't seem to be done correctly (me thinks the palette needs
to be forcibly overwritten, much the way X does it, on the 8-bit FBs).

Now if I only had a brain for kernel work...

				--*greywolf;

	/* Need OpenSource servers?  Try BSD - Solid as a Rock. */