Subject: Re: Virtual Consoles
To: None <dribbling@thekeyboard.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2000 10:30:42
On Wed, 27 Sep 100 dribbling@thekeyboard.com wrote:

> Ooh!  I had figured it was done using the "display pages"
> introduced (so far as I am aware) with CGA.  Switching
> between virtual consoles would just mean switching display
> page rather than copying memory back and forth, presumably
> it would be quicker - but of course it would limit virtual
> consoles to PC display cards and perhaps serial terminals
> that happened to support something along the lines of
> "display pages".

	For text console the amount of data to copy is very small.

>   DB> If you have the card, start on the code :)
>
> Well, if virtual consoles have been implemented in a way
> that is hardware independent (working on serial terminals,
> MDA, VGA and so on) then it would be redundant.  Interesting
> stuff though!

	It has been designed so support for other cards can be easily
	added. Hopefully someone will have time to add support for
	bitmapped displays so I can have virtual consoles on my sparc :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --