Subject: Memory location mapping/marking
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, help-netbsd@netbsd.org>
From: W . Suika Roberts <ssfr@unm.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2000 12:10:05
I have a Compaq Contura Aero 4/25, who is my primary netbsd machine
right now.

She has 20 MB of memory (four onboard, and a 16MB card), 486sx25,
isa-only.

When I tell the kernel (1.5_ALPHA2 from end of august) to only use 16 MB
(compile-time) she is quite happy and stable.

When I let her use the full 20 MB after a time she will hang, usually
during or shortly after a PCMCIA card insertion.

Occasionally she will just reboot, without any error messages, but this
is limited to right after I insert a PCMCIA card.

Because she is stable at 16 MB, and exhibited similar behavior under
linux I'm pretty sure she has a ticklish spot just past 16MB.

I'm hoping that someone has a simple way to:
1) find this ticklish spot
and
2) tell the system not to touch it

Any help would be appreciated.
	Suika
--
			     ssfr@unm.edu
	``Literature is the lie that tells the truth . . . ''