Subject: Re: 386sx w/ 3 megs of ram...
To: Chameleon <nsane.sylum@home.com>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2000 23:53:42
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Chameleon wrote:

> this is a pretty bad question... but i'll ask it anyway...
> i have a 386 sx laptop with 3 megs or ram on it...
> and i want to install a BSD on it...
> does anyone know if an older version of netbsd will work on it??

NetBSD 1.2.1 ran on my Gateway 80386sx w/4MB RAM. But, it was very slow.
To compile kernels for it, I actually used to pull the drive out of the
machine, put the drive into a system with a Pentium chip, build there, and
then put the disk back in the old machine. An ugly hack to be sure, but it
saved me lots of time had I tried to compile on the old machine.

I no longer have the machine, version 1.2.1 wasn't too speedy on it and I
took it to a recycling center last fall.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, Inc.                | Voice    : +1 763 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 763 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |