Subject: Re: gcc 2.95.2 for i386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/18/2000 20:21:29
On 18 Sep 2000, at 9:53, Grey Wolf wrote:

> I'm just trying to keep a handle on things, and since egcs came out,
> I've never been quite sure how gcc related to it.

According to some publications here the egcs was a "sidebranch" of
the gcc and as it became more popular and the gcc developers
were not willing or able to keep up to date the egcs developers were
appointed as the maintainer of gcc by the fsf. See
"http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/" for more info.

AFAIK there were compatibility problems of egcs1.0 to gcc 2.8, that
should have been resolved with egcs 1.01.

hth

mike