Subject: Re: RAIDframe, RAID1, Booting
To: Dan J Fraser <dfraser@capybara.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/2000 17:07:34
Dan J Fraser writes:

> I haven't been able to find any information on this...
>
> Let's say I have a hypothetical machine (i386) running two identical hard
> disks, mirrored with RAID1 and RAIDframe.
>
> Add the partitions (including the root) are mirrored across those disks.
>
> Now, let's say the boot drive (primary ide?) fails.  Would it be possible to
> set things up so that the system can still boot?  How does one recover from
> a problem like that?  With a bootfloppy?

Presumably the BIOS can't find the failed drive so it boots from the
"only" drive and you're set.

If the failed drive still shows up in the probe then the BIOS may try
to use it and fail.

You need to mirror the drives exactly so the bootstrap code and partition
table is identical *and working* on both drives.

I would like to have a RAID1 setup where I don't need special partitions
for root, but can boot from the first drive/partition in the set.  As this
doesn't guarantee the parity (or mirror) I guess it is not recommended. :-)

-Andrew