Subject: Re: IDE UDMA hangs on BP6 (HPT366)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/30/2000 15:11:19
   On Aug 28, 15:52, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
   > Subject: Re: IDE UDMA hangs on BP6 (HPT366)
   > On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 07:44:14AM -0500, Kazushi Marukawa wrote:
   > > I cannot re-produce hang easily by using only tar program now.
   > > I have to use the machine until it hang.  It's bad for me.
   > Hum, timing-dependant problem maybe ?

I think I found a solution.  One Max60 drive was defect.

Yes.  I had checked all drives by using quick test before I
sent a mail.  Although the drive was passed through quick
test, it was broken.

After last mail, I got trouble with even UDMA33.  Then, I
changed the motherboard to another i810 one.  I was still
contineously getting errors.  However, it seems to be caused
by Max60 drive at that time.  So, I backed up it and scaned
it with a diagnostic tool.  The drive has error although
quick test passes this drive.  After changing defect drive,
machine works fine with one Max40, one Max60, and one DJNA.
Beautiful!  I guess the defect drive had influence on others
somehow.

I'll change motherboard to BP6 later.  Then, I hope I can
put all three drives as recommended drives although Maxtor
and WesternDigital combination caused errors under even
Win98.

   > Ultra66 and Ultra100 are supported (in Ultra/66 mode only for the later).
   > Do you know what chip do the FastTrak use ? Maybe it's the same chip ...

FastTrak66 is identical to Ultra66.  FastTrak100 is also
identical to Ultra100.  Differences are in BIOS and some
patterns on the board.

I can access RAID drives from DOS and Windows 98 without any
drivers.  It's slower than the speed with FT66/100 drivers,
but it works.  Under Windows 2000, I need drivers to access
them.

Both FTs install BIOS like SCSI cards.  So, we can use
drives as RAID drives through BIOS.  However, if we want to
access RAID from NetBSD directly, I think we need to read
RAID configuration from hard drives (FT stores RAID
information into hard drives) and access each drive along
that configuration.  It is very similar to the RAIDframe.

By the way, I guess FT66 may works as U66 from NetBSD.  I'll
try it if I have a chance.

Thanks,
-- Kazushi
Take everything in stride.  Trample anyone who gets in your way.