Subject: Re: IDE UDMA hangs on BP6 (HPT366)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/26/2000 13:47:09
   On Aug 26, 18:44, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
   > Subject: Re: IDE UDMA hangs on BP6 (HPT366)
   > On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:53:06AM -0500, Kazushi Marukawa wrote:
   > >  1) DJNA at IDE3-1 and Max60 at IDE4-2 is OK.
   > >  2) DJNA at IDE3-1, Max40 at IDE4-1, and Max60 at IDE4-2 is
   > >     bad.  I got following message.  Note: pciide1 is IDE3
   > >     since pciide0 is assigned as IDE1 and IDE2 although they
   > >     are ignored by kernel like following dmesg output.
   > >
   > >   pciide1:0:0: lost interrupt
   > >           type: ata tc_bcount: 65536 tc_skip: 0
   > >   pciide1:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
   > >
   > >  3) DJNA at IDE3-1, Max60 at IDE3-2, and Max60 at IDE4-2 is
   > >     OK.
   >
   > I would still look for a bigger power supply :)
   > Maybe in this config you have less parallel outstanding requests to the
   > drive ? This depend on your applications of course ...

Under all configurations, what I did is copying about 20MB
files from DJNA(IDE3) to Max40(IDE4) or Max60(IDE4) by using
"tar cf - | (cd XX; tar xfp -)" three times or more.  Under
the 2nd configuration, I experienced hang while the NetBSD
is fscking in parallel though.

Maybe, Max40 or Max60 has a compatibility problem like
Thomas suggested.

On the other hand, I'm using 300W power supply.  I'm using
one Celeron 333, 128MB SDRAM, AHA2940UW, two ether cards,
and 3 hard drives (SCSI drive is external).  I believe 300W
covers all enoughly because I was using these plus display
card, CDROM, and DVDROM when I was using this for Windows
98.  If I experience the same trouble without Max40, I'll
try to get 400W power supply.

If anybody have a suggestion or want to know the result of
some particular configurations, please let me know.  I'll
try.  Manuel, if you want to know the result of 400W power
supply, please let me know.  I'll try it ASAP.

Thanks,
-- Kazushi