Subject: Re: Need quick way to crash NetBSD box.
To: Tomas T. Peiser, CET <tom@test2.fundy.ca>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/2000 15:23:05
	Are you on i386 machines?  If so, then the easiest way for you to
get a working serial console is to recompile the boot blocks with serial
console support set to the default.  The kernel will then take its console
from the arguments the boot blocks send to it when it boots the kernel, and
you should be able to control everything, and see everything, through the
serial console.  The attached pc keyboard is unusable in single user mode
and, unless you explicitly enable multiple vtys on the pc keyboard and
screen, won't be of much use in multuser mode either.  I've done things
this way for years and all of my NetBSD boxes have serial consoles,
exclusively, except for one.  And, yes, I was able to use ddb from those
consoles.
-Brian