Subject: Re: Intall packages
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/2000 15:41:33
On 24.08.00, 06:13:55, Bill Hudspeth wrote:
> Hi Manuel, thank you faor answering back.
>
> I don't know if my CD has the layout expected by the package system.
> Nevertheless, I am confused because pkg_add cannot find:
>  "package_file.tgz"  or
>  "kde-1.1.2.tgz"

Obviously, you have to give pkg_add a real file name, as in:

pkg_add /mnt/cdrom/packages/1.4/i386/all/kde-1.1.2.tgz

Alternatively, you could first cd to the "all" directory, and call
pkg_add with only the filename.

> The CD-ROM is arranged so that the real packages are located in:
>
> /packages/1.4/i386/all

Yes.

> and then there is a directory for /pkgtools that has empty files
> (same as /all) and a TRANS.TBL file with batch-like commands for
> installing the entire pkgtools system.

The TRANS.TBL files are only used by BBS and the like that run on
systems incapabale of long filename, to map the 8+3 filenames to the
real filenames.

All real files are in the all directory, all the other files in the
categorized directories are just symbolic links to the real files in
"all".

> I find all of this quite opaque. Is it possible that I should be using
> an "install" command rather than "pkg_add"?

pkg_add _IS_ the install command for pre-compiled packages.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD is the bomb.  (ok, bad idea)
		-- Andrew Gillham