Subject: Re: S3V X server (was: Re: Laptop/notebook recommendations?)
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Chris Pinnock <C.J.E.Pinnock@qmw.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/20/2000 21:20:47
On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 10:10:07PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Actually, Chris, they say that ``Use of [S3V] is no longer recommended.''
> That is subtly different than recommending against using S3V.

Ok. Accepted. Next time I'll quote rather than misquote... :)

> If they
> really felt that it was an error to use the S3V server, they should have
> used stronger language or relocated the binary or both.

XF86_S3V does not work at all on my laptop. It does not support the MX
chipset. That is why I don't use it on the laptop. (Actually, I did try
it, but got no output).

> However, the SVGA support, on my S3 ViRGE/DX (/GX?) card is inferior to
> the S3V support.

Ditto on my main machine which I think is a GX but I forget. The SVGA
server produces wobbly output. The S3V server works much better for me
too on my main machine.

--
Chris