Subject: Re: SOUND BLASTER INTERRUPT CONFIGURATION
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/2000 16:55:17
On 08.08.00, 15:04:01, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 12:33:37PM -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>
> I said jumperless. If it has any jumpers it's not jumperless. But 'software
> config' sounds like they mean PnP.
>
> If you have the config disk, you could jumper eeprom mode, and pick 220/5
> or you could jumper 'software config' and I'd expect PnP to work.

Unfortunately for old cards that's usually not true. Different
manufacturers used different DOS-Setup-Tools to program the card to
use different I/O and IRQ values. If you don't have MS-DOS or PC-DOS
or DR-DOS, a FreeDOS-Bootdisk plus the setup tool (usually available
on the 'net) if the manufacturer usually works fine to 'program' it to
use standard Soundblaster settings like I/O 0x200, IRQ 5.

If the manufacturers mean "PnP", they usually say so. Old "softconfig"
is not it.

This was well before Intel(?)'s ISA-Plug-and-Play specifications.
Maybe they thought this was user-friendly at the time or something,
or jumpers were too expensive (cannot belive they are more expensive
than EEPROMs, though).

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: The free OS with a money back guarantee!
		-- Tim Rightnour