Subject: Re: how to spin down a harddisk?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/2000 08:05:47
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> This timeout should already be enouth (it's something like 10s).
> Also, it looks strange that the disk spins up just after spinning down.
> Looks like it went off in the middle of a command.

I don't really think that 10s is a sufficient timeout for a disk.  Maybe
for IDE, but some SCSI disks can take 30s or more to spin up.  ISTR that
when I was dealing with fibre-channel disks they took the better part of a
minute to spin up.  10s is cutting it pretty close for spinups even on
some of the faster disks.

Eduardo Horvath