Subject: Re: how to spin down a harddisk?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/2000 04:15:16
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > in my notebook's /etc/apm/battery file, I run "atactl wd0 setidle 60".
> > Now whenever the drive spins down, I see this on the console:
> >
> > pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
> >         type: ata tc_bcount: 0 tc_skip: 0
> > pciide0:0:0: intr with DRQ (st=0x58)
> > wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1
> > wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data
> > transfers)
> > wd0a: device timeout writing fsbn 7515682 of 7515682-7515683 (wd0 bn
> > 11708647; cn 11615 tn 11 sn 34), retrying
> > wd0: soft error (corrected)
> >
> > I could ignore the text, but the annoying thing is that this is also
> > logged via syslog, and for that the drive needs spinning up again.
> > The effect is that the drive spins up immediately after it's spun
> > down.
> >
> > Is there a known cure to this problem?
>
> The drive spins up to write something ... make sure you don't have anything
> that writes to a file every minutes.

What it writes is the above error to syslog. It doesn't matter which time
intercal I choose, it'll always spin down, and ~immediately spin up again.
Given that we intentionally spin the drive down, couldn't we just inhibit
the above errors?

 - Hubert

--
NetBSD - because Unix isn't just #include <linux.h>, i386, ILP32, ELF, ...!