Subject: Re: 1.4.1, APM, SCSI disk spin down how?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/2000 17:14:36
On 26 Jul 2000, at 17:08, Chris Tribo wrote:

>  No I don't think this is correct. Every Quantum HD I've used since
> the 80MB SCSI-1 has an HD spin down time mode page. I usually set it to
> an
> hour on my 68k Mac (Using FWB SCSI Configure) I seem to remember most
> Seagate/Conner SCSI HD's also having the same thing. I can't speak for
> Maxtor or IBM.

Hi,

I have not used this for ages as some drives showed problems, but under
WinNT using Adaptecs software all of the following drives support the
spindown: 1.6GB Micropolis, 1 GB Quantum Atlas, 2GB Conner (Wide), 4GB
IBM (UW) plus some of the IDE drives that happened to be installed on my
PC for short time could be spinned down too. If it is of any interest I can test
my new 18GB IBM (LVD used as UW) too. The problems were, that the disks
did not spin up fast enough so that the os reported errors (I assumed that was
an OS problem).

mike