Subject: Re: 1.4.1, APM, SCSI disk spin down how?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/2000 22:47:53
At 23:08 Uhr +0200 26.7.2000, Chris Tribo wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Ken Hornstein wrote:

>> So, what does this have to do with SCSI drives?  Well, AFAIK, SCSI
>> drives don't have the feature of IDE drives that enables you to
>> do the power management on the drive; you need to do it.
>
>	No I don't think this is correct. Every Quantum HD I've used since
>the 80MB SCSI-1 has an HD spin down time mode page.

The Quantum Empire 540S/1080S Product Manual lists a "Quantum Unique
Automatic Shutdown Control" page (code 32h) in chapter 6.8.10.10, but
points out that it is supported "for compatibility reasons only. This means
that the vendor equipment may read the page, but all parameters are set to
zero."

The SCSI-3 Primary Commands spec (T10/9955D rev. 11a, p.122/3) lists a
Power Condition Page (code 1Ah), but looking at a few disks (Quantum Atlas
III, Fireball, Empire) none of them appears to support the page.

What a pity...

	hauke