Subject: 1.4.1, APM, SCSI disk spin down how?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2000 22:12:48
How do I get my SCSI drives to spin down when there's nothing going
on?  The hardware manual for my motherboard implies that the BIOS
power management will deal with IDE drives only.  I thought I might
add something to the "standby" script and let APM do the work, but
after reading a few "scsi" and "sd" and "ioctl" manpages, I'm still in
the dark as to how to send a command to a SCSI disk to tell it to
power down.  Pointers appreciated.

(It may be that APM is not the right way to do this; my system is an
oldish Pentium desktop, and I'm not too concerned about power
consumption, but this is a small apartment, and I'd like some blessed
quiet around here when the computer's not busy, so I'm looking for
ways to stop the loudest moving parts.)

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606