Subject: Re: need good video card for XFree86
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@vaasje.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2000 18:09:45
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 04:44:17PM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> > The only caveat with the nvidia cards would be the decided lack of OpenGL.
> > Once someone ports the Linux kernel module that is required, the newest
> > drivers should work.  Until then the nvidia cards are not ideal for using
> > any kind of hardware GL under NetBSD.  The Matrox G400 Max might be a better
> > choice considering the support for DRI under XFree86 4.0.1.
>
> Wait a minute.. I've been using XFree86 3.3.x with the code that nvidia
> made available quite some time ago, compiled into a GLX extension module,
> and a patched Mesa library to go along with it. I have a TNT2 card, and
> it's working fine.. You must be talking about something different.

Hmm, I did say "... are not ideal ..."  I didn't mean to imply that the
GLX + 3.3.x combination didn't work, as I use it, but it is buggy and
not very fast for things that need a lot of OpenGL bandwidth. (like games,
but potentially 3D CAD, etc)

I would say for something looking for a new card that the current level
of support for nvidia is not very good.  The matrox support appears to be
much better considering it is supported on 3.3.x with GLX and with DRI
under 4.0.1.  Under 4.0.1 on NetBSD the nvidia cards are plain broken.

e.g. serious gamma problems that appear under wscons when switching between
virtual consoles (text and XFree86), and I have had several kernel panics
under 1.5_ALPHA where it dropped into ddb.  This was of course worthless
considering I was still in X.

> Maybe some kind of kernel module under Linux is required under 4.0,
> but 3.3.x has been working fine for me with GL and a TNT2.

Well I personally hope to see 4.0.1 integrated at some point.  The current
level of support with 4.0.1 and nvidia can barely be called such.  At least
when considering 3D.  (and why buy a TNT2 if you don't care about 3D)

Again, I'm just saying that a Matrox G400 might be a better card for a
new purchase, particularly with the dual head possibilities and the solid
support under 3.3.x and 4.0.1. (based on reviews, release notes and other
people's comments, I don't have one)

I have a STB Riva 128, STB TNT, generic TNT2-M64, and Diamond Viper 770
Ultra (TNT2 Ultra)  so I would _love_ to see better nvidia support under
XFree86 4.0.1 and NetBSD.  XFree86 4.0.1 is the future, so it is sad to
see this bold new release _lose_ significant functionality on NetBSD.
(at least for me)

-Andrew