Subject: Re: need good video card for XFree86
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@vaasje.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2000 23:26:30
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 04:44:17PM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> The only caveat with the nvidia cards would be the decided lack of OpenGL.
> Once someone ports the Linux kernel module that is required, the newest
> drivers should work.  Until then the nvidia cards are not ideal for using
> any kind of hardware GL under NetBSD.  The Matrox G400 Max might be a better
> choice considering the support for DRI under XFree86 4.0.1.

Wait a minute.. I've been using XFree86 3.3.x with the code that nvidia
made available quite some time ago, compiled into a GLX extension module,
and a patched Mesa library to go along with it. I have a TNT2 card, and
it's working fine.. You must be talking about something different.

Maybe some kind of kernel module under Linux is required under 4.0,
but 3.3.x has been working fine for me with GL and a TNT2.

- Frank