Subject: Re: need good video card for XFree86
To: Piter G Oseneff <oseneff@sitek.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2000 16:44:17
> I think that you will need any video card based on an nVidia TNT2 graphic processor.
> It works fine under NetBSD and also M$ Windows 98/2000 as well.
>
> Steve Bellovin (smb@research.att.com) wrote:
> > Any suggestions on a good AGP video card?  It needs to work well with
> > our favorite operating system, of course, or I wouldn't be posting
> > here, but it also needs to perform well when my son boots the video
> > game loader from Redmond.
> >
> > 		--Steve Bellovin
>
> --
> Petr G Osenev
> System Administrator , SITEK ITSP

The only caveat with the nvidia cards would be the decided lack of OpenGL.
Once someone ports the Linux kernel module that is required, the newest
drivers should work.  Until then the nvidia cards are not ideal for using
any kind of hardware GL under NetBSD.  The Matrox G400 Max might be a better
choice considering the support for DRI under XFree86 4.0.1.

If you just want fast 2D under NetBSD and fast 2D/3D under your GUI Game
Loader, then the nvidia cards would be _ideal_ for you.  I would suggest
checking with pricewatch.com as a lowend GeForce256 can be had for about $130
which would be a better deal than many TNT2 cards.  Unless you get a TNT2-M64
which is basically the same speed as an original TNT card.

-Andrew