Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/2000 13:35:13
On 18.07.00, 21:14:40, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 03:11:50PM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:
> > Well, GENERIC does not have cardbus support right now. Perhaps
> > enabling it in GENERIC but not in CARDBUS?
>
> I think for 1.5 we should leave cbb/pnpbios/pcibios disabled in
> the default kernels, but also provide a "laptop" set of install
> and generic kernels with those options enabled.

I have found that the PnP-BIOS is utterly broken in some laptop BIOSs
(namely the "SystemSoft MobilePRO" BIOS), and causes the computer to
reset immediately after the kernel has found a pnpbios.

I have seen this on several different models, all with the "MobilePRO"
BIOS.

So I don't think this should be enabled by default.

I was also having big trouble getting PCMCIA NE2000-cards to work if I
have CardBus enabled (with "pcmcia* at cardslot?"); with a "pcmcia* at
pcic?"

I have also seen several models of notebooks that would not configure
the CardBus Bridge due to "unconfigured interrupt", unless
PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP was enabled.

It seems to me that in general PC-Cards of any kind are still bound to
cause problems.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Linux without the hype.