Subject: Re: System time & date thinks its in California not NYC
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2000 11:32:12
> P.S. If you dual boot this machine into both Windows and NetBSD,
> you'll find the clock is off whenever you boot into "the other" OS.
> This is because Windows sets the system clock to the local time,
> while NetBSD sets it to GMT.  I would recommend running NTP under
> NetBSD, and something like d4time under Windows, so this will be
> corrected automatically at each boot.

IIRC there is a kernel compile option that allows the hardware clock to
be kept in local time by providing for an offset between hardware and
GMT.  It'd mean changing kernels twice a year, as daylight time comes
and goes, but it may be of some use.  If memory serves it's called
RTCOFFSET or RTC_OFFSET or some such.

> P.P.S. Discussions about setting the system time, and other similar
> "remedial/tutorial" questions should be sent to the netbsd-help
> mailing list instead of port-i386.

I'm sending this to port-i386 because my comments are fairly
port-specific (and indeed the problem I'm commenting on can't exist
except on machines that run both NetBSD and Windows, which AFAIK means
i386 and alpha.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca