Subject: Re: Using mkisofs to create CD image, but without using 650MB onthe hard disk?
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/2000 12:37:52
>> Another option might be to use hardlinks to the required files -
>> that way the extra copy will only need space for the directory
>> entries and inode data (probably a few dozen K).

Probably well under "a few dozen K"; a directory entry cannot be over
512 bytes (actually, 255+header), and hardlinks don't consume extra
inodes, so the inode size is irrelevant (and an inode is only 128 bytes
anyway, and since FFS preallocates inodes and normally has far more
than it needs, even if an inode were consumed it could be considered
zero-cost anyway).

> It's not quite as simple as that: the data I want to archive is
> actually raw data on a raw disk partition, and I want to assign it
> filenames and burn it to the CD on the fly - any ideas how I would do
> that?

For an unrelated reason, I wanted a filesystem that would make a raw
disk partition mount as a (fixed-size) plain file.  Sounds as though
that would address your desire as well.  (No, I haven't implemented it
yet.  Perhaps I will, someday...it should be fairly simple.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca