Subject: Re: How should DISKLESS differ?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2000 11:15:16
In message <200007090808.e6988Xb00351@rumolt.teuto.de>, Martin Husemann writes:
>> Certainly the root type and lack of physical disk devices is
>> reasonable, as is the omission of ccd.
>
>No, that's not reasonable. I'm booting lots of machines diskless that have
>other OSs on their disks, which I do access though. This happens under various
>circumstances where adding a NetBSD partition is no valid (or easy) option.

While certainly that's a reasonable thing to do, I don't think it
is what DISKLESS is trying to do. After all, if it's merely a one-line
change from GENERIC, I'm not sure it has a good reason to exist.

My presumption was the idea was to provide a kernel that 90% of the
diskless users could use, that trimmed off 90% of the fat they never
used.

>IMHO it should be exactly GENERIC with a different "root on nfs" line and
>alle the NFS_BOOT_DHCPD... etc options.

Those are in GENERIC, anyhow.

--jhawk