Subject: Re: detecting internal modem + Booting from DOS
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/2000 12:56:14
On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 10:35:09AM -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> show up on the booting legend. What exactly are dmesg lines? Are they the
> sameones that the kernel prints out during a boot cycle? If they are, then
> no I can't, after all this is the same problem I had with sending a log of
> my first, and second attempts to bring up an X windows session. He isn't as
> yet connected in this operating system lifetime to the Internet. This guy
> is.

Use the command /sbin/dmesg to see the contents of the kernel message
buffer. At boot this contains the messages the kernel printed out
when it was detecting hardware and stuff.

As an aside, note that the message buffer is fixed in size, so when the
kernel prints out enough stuff (at run time) eventually the boot messages
go away. I think they are saved in /var/run/dmesg.boot on new enough
systems (1.4.something?).

As for getting the output of dmesg from one machine to another without
networking, you can save the output of dmesg to a file on a floppy.
The boot floppies do not have to stay in the floppy drive once you
are booted, so you can put another floppy in the drive and save to it.

# mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
# dmesg >/mnt/dmesg.txt
# unmount /mnt

"35. Yekcim Esuom budgeted $100 for renting a truck. How far can he..."
A Survey of Mathematics with Applications, 5th ed, Angel+Porter, p 293