Subject: Re: disklabel number of partition ?
To: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/2000 12:44:03
> To: tech-net@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org
> Cc: port-i386@netbsd.org

This issue has nothing whatever to do with networking; please stop
sending messages on the subject to tech-net!  This is the third time
I've said this; I will *ignore* any further messages about it that are
sent to tech-net.

>> I have two harddisks on my i386, the first is the principal msdos
>> partition C:, the second is the msdos extend partition with four
>> logical partition, D:, E:, F:, G:.

>> at this time, I can see C: on sd0e, and I can see D:, E:, F: on
>> sd1f, sd1g, sd1h.  I need another location like sd1i to see the G:
>> partition.

As someone else mentioned, if any of sd1a, sd1b, or sd1e are free, you
could use one of them.  If not, then yes, you need to raise
MAXPARTITION.

Based on my experiences with other ports, my guess is there are only
two things you need to do to go from 8 to 16 partitions in the kernel.
(Note that this is only a guess; I've not actually tried it on the i386
port myself.)

- In arch/i386/conf/files.i386, change the number on the
   "maxpartitions" line from 8 to 16.

- In arch/i386/include/disklabel.h, change the MAXPARTITIONS define
   from 8 to 16.

You will also need to update your /dev.  Since you have two drives
already, this could be a little interesting.  I'd do this by (1)
updating /dev/MAKEDEV's script for sd* drives to use 16 partitions
instead of 8, (2) rebooting single-user with the new kernel, (3)
blowing away the existing sd* devices ("rm sd[0-9]* rsd[0-9]*"), and
(4) recreating them ("./MAKEDEV sd0 sd1" and others if you need/want
then).

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca