Subject: Re: IDE DMA problems (1.4.2)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/01/2000 14:54:57
> I'd get a new MB, but if I do, I need a new CPU and a new box for the
> system, probably new RAM as well.. all because I wanted to install a
> new disk :-I

Heh, happend to me very similar:

We added a wavelan card to a server that had been running 1.4 reliably evers
since it's release (and only was down for admin reasons, like physically
moving to another office).

So after upgrading it to one of the later 1.4X variants, I shut it down (vie
net, like always), went there, added the hardwaer and powered it up again.
The keyboard controller was dead. Probably has been dead forever, it usually
doesn't have a keyboard at all.

But for the wavelan card to work we had to reserve some interrupt in the
BIOS PCI configuration....

I'll leave the interim steps to your imagination, but now we have:
a new mainboard, a new processor, new graphics card, new ram, new power
supply, new disk, new IDE cables, new network card. And a system running
reliably 1.5_Alpha.

In fact, we only kept the case, the ISDN card and one of the disks.

PC hardware is fun, isn't it?

Martin